SF, I Love You // 12.18.14



Dear San Francisco,

I've officially been your resident for 5 sweet months. You had me at hello, each day falling just a little more in love. Each day better than the one before. Because each day I discover something new. Not because you are perfect. You're not. Like when my bus is 20 minutes late or there are a million people stuffed in one train car or a cup of coffee is twice the price I'm expecting (or the economic and social disparity - that's a whole other letter). But I'm amazed at how quickly you stole my heart from LA. Forcing me to let go of all inhibitions and jump in with both feet. Smiles and friendly gestures slowly soothing my calloused LA heart. The passion in other's eyes reigniting my own. The fight is real. I'm not one of the chosen who work at Google or are cashing in on a start up. I embrace the challenges of chaotic, cramped, competitive city living. Fighting for a spot among the masses. Fighting to both stand out and blend in. Fighting for a piece of your magic. I commit to listening to others' stories, admiring each piece of public art, and (heavily) supporting local music venues (You know, if I have to...). Even in the rain, without a car, I still feel the faint flutter of butterflies in my stomach.Your fog and cold, crisp air has taught me to embrace the art of layering and the oh so important role of jackets in my life.




Thank you for the home, the job, the church community, and the family I found here. Sometimes I stop and smile over the smallest things, because I realize what was missing before. I fit in. Just the way I am. At the same time, I feel the challenge to grow. To find my place and my purpose. Whether I stay or go, our connection will always be special. A piece of me will always be caught in the hustle of downtown, in the gasp of your breathtaking views, in the unique character of each neighborhood.



I talk a lot about my personal conflicts and introspective thoughts, but many times I walk down the street and wonder what people behind their curtains are struggling with. What moments brought them here? I want to dig in and understand this imperfect beauty. Learn to see beyond the Disneyland-like attractions you offer. How often do we ignore others on our journey to pleasure? Taking and taking, but never giving. I'm guilty. Collecting new experiences for the thrill of saying I've done that or I've been there. Craving something just a little more intriguing or unique to achieve the same high. Feeling just a little more numb to what once made eyes widen in awe. But it's not the trendy, exotic, artisan spots that make the greatest impact. Some of the most awe-inspiring places I've been haven't cost a thing. Sitting, reading, blending, observing, feeling your pulse. That's when I fell in love.


<3 Taylor

1 comment:

  1. You make me love where you are just from reading your words, which are compelling, intimate and real. So proud of you, Taylor, and how God has gifted you.

    ReplyDelete